This cheesy and creamy potato gratin is a delicious twist with potato slices, shallots, lots of cheese and a hint of garlic. The topping of grated Gruyere and Parmesan cheese over the top made this potato gratin more creamy and delicious.
- Russet potatoes (scrubbed and very thinly sliced) – 4 pounds
- Medium shallots (quartered through root ends) – 2
- Unsalted butter (room temperature) – 1 tbsp.
- Heavy cream – 2.5 cups
- Garlic (divided) – 5 cloves
- Kosher salt – 1 tbsp.
- Black pepper (freshly ground) – 1 tsp.
- Thyme leaves (plus more) – 1 tbsp.
- Gruyere (finely grated) – 3 ounces
- Parmesan cheese (finely grated) – 1 ounce
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Slice 1 clove of garlic in half and rub the inner side of a shallow baking dish. Spread butter all over inside of the baking dish.
- Add shallots, remaining 4 garlic cloves, heavy cream, salt, black pepper and 1 tbsp of thyme in a small saucepan. Place the saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until shallots and garlic be very soft. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Place them in a blender and blend the mixture until smooth.
- Place potato slices in the previously prepared baking dish. Arrange potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Tuck smaller potato slices into any gaps.
- Pour blended cream mixture over the potato slices and cover the dish tightly with aluminium foil. Place it into the preheated oven and bake potatoes for about 60 to 75 minutes or until tender and creamy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Remove the foil paper and sprinkle Gruyere and Parmesan cheese over the top of the potato. Broil for about 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and top of the gratin is golden brown.
- Sprinkle thyme leaves over the top and serve.
You can use a mandolin to slice potatoes, which creates thin slices, that helps the gratin to cook more evenly.
You May Also Read
|Crunchy & Delicious Smoky Baked Chicken with Tortillas|
|Easy & Delicious Beef And Mushroom Vermicelli Recipe|
|Healthy & Tasty Ploughmans Lunch Platter Cheese Plates|
Potato Gratin Recipe, potato gratin recipe julia child, potato gratin recipe gruyere, potato gratin recipe with milk, potato gratin recipe julia child